DESCRIPTION OF STUDY
EPINUT undertook the challenge of designing and developing the Health Survey in the population of Orihuela. This project is a cross-sectional study, which gathered information about food and nutrient intake, and also other factors that may affect nutritional status and/or food consumption.
The general objective of the Orihuela Nutrition and Health Survey was to establish the nutritional status of the Orihuela population and three other nearby districts. In addition, this study was considered as a pilot project for the Valencian Community Nutrition and Health Survey (CVS).
The main specific objectives of CVS were:
- To establish accurately the dietary intake patterns of the study population by age and gender.
- To collect somatometric data to complete the assessment of nutritional status.
- To gather information about factors as consumption of tobacco, health status and other habits and lifestyles that could be associated with nutritional status and/or dietary intake to assess more accurately the nutritional and health status of this population.
We collected information for the following variables:
- Dietary Survey Module:
- Food Frequency Questionnaire of 93 items.
- 24h Records.
- Health and Lifestyles Module:
- Self-report health status and personal pathological background (chronic diseases).
- Dental health
- Physical activity
- Consumption of tobacco and alcohol
- Consumption of drugs
- Brief reproductive history (only women)
- Socio-demographic Module: Personal data, education level, employment status, marital status, economic income and certain family features.
- Anthropometry Module :
- Brachial circumference.
- Abdomen/hip circumference.
Publications related to this study:
2.-Vioque J, Vicente MC. The prevalence of obesity in Orihuela, Alicante, Spain. A comparison with the data from the National Health Care Survey in Spain. Med Clin (Barc). 1994 Nov 12;103(16):636-7.